Yesterday a list of 25 negative things about Cornwall started making the rounds on Facebook and it got us a bit upset. Cornwall has plenty of amazing things and people that show how great this community is on a regular basis.
Here is our list of 25 things Cornwallites know well.
1. The amount of care and passion this community has. Helping organize events and always being there to volunteer or donate to many important causes. The generosity of this community knows no bounds.
2. Our beautiful recreational paths along the water and beyond
3. A vibrant local restaurant/coffee shop community run by people who live here and invest at home
4. Pizza and poutine…everyone has a favourite
5. Local artists and performers who add so much whether it be visual, by sound or performance
6. A top notch parks and rec staff that keep the flowers and plants beautiful during the warmer months
7. Great recreation facilities like the Aquatic Centre, Benson Centre and Curling Club
8. Lamoureux Park
9. Splash pads and outdoor pools to keep cool on those hit summer days
10. Being able to drive almost anywhere in 10 minutes or less
11. Many unique local shops and boutiques…even a brewery too!
12. Awesome festivals. Beerfest, Musicfest, Ribfest to name a few…
13. Cornwall Electric…just ask Hydro One customers
14. Team Cornwall
15. Very active service clubs
16. Sports entertainment like the Colts and the River Kings as well as other great amateur talent
17. Great golf courses all closeby
18. Our Cornwall Community Hospital, Hospice Cornwall and the all great health care staff we have
19. Great ambassadors like Tony Luis, Jesse Winchester, Christina Julien, Lori Dupuis to name a few
20. Our proximity to so many great tourist attractions (too many to name)
21. The continuous development and change to local infrastructure…think Brookdale Avenue or the next phase for the First on Second project at Pitt and Second as a couple examples but there are many
22. The response to a negative list with so much love and positivity for this city
23. Education opportunities. We have St.Lawrence College but soon will add aviation university courses at the Nav Centre through Carleton University
24. Affordable living
25. Beautiful parks with great play structures for our younger Cornwallites
We were inspired by Alex who works and lives in Cornwall. She posted her thoughts on how this made her feel and we saw how many people felt it was an uncalled for list so we wanted to continue to positive comments about the city. Here is her rant from yesterday that got us thinking about making the above list
“I hate these things. I hate them so much. And not just because they’re usually rude, but they’re a completely narrow and biased view of the city and for some reason they gain more traction on-line than anything else. This is not my view. This is not what I see. In MY Cornwall I see some of the most hard working, creative and passionate people. And I mean hard working, this ain’t your mommas 9 to 5. These are the people that I know, that work on their own and work hard just for the love of it and to share it with you Cornwall. You, fickle Cornwall. These are the people that I see either working for, heading or helping organize programs just for YOU! And this is certainly not an all encompassing list but these are the people that I know who work everyday to diversify and expand and better our small town.
Not even mentioning the countless artistic performers I know who just want you to lend an ear.
So if you look around this city and all you see is shitty bars or a garbage pile/ski hill and people who are lazy and abuse the system, then maybe you’re sitting at the wrong table. Maybe, instead of looking for likes and shares on the Internet by contributing nothing and offending those who do, maybe you support just one local Cornwall person by having a coffee from them instead timmies, by going for dinner at Bar Q instead of Kelsey’s , or just shutting up… No money required for that. Be part of the solution because writing an article like that, you might as well be the snow covered garbage pile. Because from where I’m standing, this city and most of the people I know are extraordinary. Maybe you need to change your crew to change your view, because mine is fine.