We’ve had a robin trying to build a nest for the past 15 days above our front door. Each morning we wake up to massive amounts of straw and other materials for a nest that get blown down onto our front porch.
We didn’t really want a bird’s nest above our front door but after 15 days it became obvious that this robin was not going to change locations. We decided to help it since we didn’t want to see it lay eggs that would roll off the ledge or hatch and then have babies fall to their death.
Saturday with some cardboard and a bit of duct tape (here’s the Red Green part) I created an edging on the window frame to help keep the next intact. We figured the sudden change would either help the bird or have it finally move spots after something foreign in its space.
When we woke up Sunday morning there it was outside the window with most of the nest done and still intact. It continued most of the day adding little bits here and there. It looks like we will have little robins above our front door after all.
Once they leave the nest we will be removing the cardboard helper and reclaiming our front entrance. In the meantime, we feel good about helping the robin finally have a spot to lay her eggs.