Some you may. I’m really not sure. But let’s see what happens.
1. I still like watching my Leafs. At least they’re not the Oilers. For my Oiler fan friends, stick with ’em. Don’t throw you well worn jersey on the ice. Don’t pray for a trade or a firing. Just love your team. Someday, they will show you the love back. And that’s why you stick with them.
2. When it comes to our Federal government, enough is enough. I can take a Conservative MP sleeping in the house (maybe they work long hours), I can take a PC Minister reading the newspaper during Question Period (must have had her cable knocked out somehow), but what’s happening in Veteran’s Affairs is criminal. Veteran offices closed last year across the country because they were too costly to maintain yet over a billion dollars from the Ministry’s budget was not used. The unfair cutbacks to Vet’s pensions and for some the loss of all benefits despite fighting for our freedoms around the world is heinous. Criminal even. I like our MP Guy Lauzon. I really do. But how he and the rest of the party can defend this position of Vet benefit cutbacks and denials boggles me. We need to be better than that to the brave men and women who fearlessly defend us.
3. BTW, calling for the resignation of Julian Fantino from the Veteran Affair’s portfolio is useless. He doesn’t have a say as to how his portfolio is run. It’s not his fault. The Prime Minister dictates how each Minister does their job. The last Minister to have any autonomy in their portfolio was the late Jim Flaherty in Finance.
4. I’m going to miss Stephan Colbert doing the Colbert Report. It was brilliant. It was ground breaking and it was funny. Good luck at CBS Stephan.
5. The Cornwall River Kings. Wow. Like with any sports team, Pro or otherwise, you’re going to lose money. Lots of it. For along time too. This year alone, the River Kings stand to lose $150,000 or more. Every couch potato hockey loving sports fan knows this. That’s why we watch from the couch! And in the working class city of Cornwall, I doubt you’ll find many independently wealthy hockey fans willing to lose that much every year for a few years until they figure out how to turn a profit. Let the team go folks. Rip the bandage off quick and let them fold. When the dust settles, check out some very talented youngsters playing for the Cornwall Colts. You won’t be disappointed.
6. The Radio business in Canada is like a fraternity. Even though we still don’t get to meet everyone, news (especially bad news) travels fast. Mike Evenson was the Morning Show Host for 97.5 FM The River in Kamloops B.C. I say was because he died on Thursday morning on his way to work when he was involved in a 3 vehicle crash on a dangerous stretch of highway. He was 37. The good thing to pull away from this is that his colleagues say he died on his way to do something he loved to do everyday. Despite that, I feel like I have lost a brother.
7. Sorry Air Canada. Not buying your B.S with the emotional Holiday video. West Jet already did that and it was done better. Stick to what you do best. Pissing off your customers with high ticket prices and poor service. What are you going to do next, an April Fools video?
8. I have a huge amount of respect for my co-host and friend Dan Allaire. This man can bring a community together with a single post on Facebook or phone call to the right person. Dan has put together the 2nd Annual Stuff The Studio event where Corus asks for food and monetary donations, this year from Cornwall Square. This year, despite everything going against him personally, he has called the community and we are poised to raise double the amount that was raised last year and all for the St. Vincent DePaul Society. He learned from the best though so it just comes naturally. No doubt, Richard Allaire is looking down and beaming with pride.
9. Speaking of pride, a big thanks to everyone in the community for listening to our local radio stations. When the number came in this past week, Corus Cornwall was floored by the response of the region. You like us, you really like us. Between Fresh 104.5 and boom 101.9, we are THE most listened to stations by a country mile and it is appreciated. On behalf of Jimmy, Sue, Shannon, Nate, Johnny, Dan, Tom, and Darryl… Thank you. We love doing what we do. Truly.
10. Please say no to “Bill 10”. This has little to do with people in Cornwall or Ontario for that matter. But it might someday. In Alberta right now, the Provincial government is pushing through legislation that would allow themselves to move Gay-Straight Alliance groups that are currently set up in Publicly funded schools to a meeting place more to their(the government’s) liking. To put this in simpler terms: If a public school refuses to allow a LGBTQ group to meet within the confines of the school for any reason, sane or not, the government reserves the right to assist the group in finding a meeting place. So, the legislation allows schools to deny the right for these groups to assemble on school property and then allows themselves to find a dark out of the way corner in which to place these students in order to meet. I can’t even begin to tell you how disgusted and sick to my stomach this makes me. I find myself near tears for the students, for the kids who are caught in the middle of this very divisive debate. All they are trying to do is find place to fit into this society. A society that they should never have to feel like they don’t fit in. And the Alberta government is trying to pass a law that allows this discriminatory practise. It’s pretty un-Canadian if you ask me. And the stereotype that follows most from Alberta, continues to perpetuate. Sad
So, that’s what’s on my mind. How about you? Comments and questions are welcome.